Sunnybrow Primary School:
A place where every child has the chance to:
Happy and Healthy
Empowered to Exceed
At the heart of everything we do at Sunnybrow, is the drive to ensure that our children reach their full potential by being Empowered to Exceed. Sunnybrow children will be a powerful force to be reckoned with as they enter the adult world. They will have a strong moral compass and be able to think ‘big’ so that they can progress onto the next chapter of their lives with the knowledge, skills and experience to achieve their dreams.
In order for children to achieve academically, we believe children need to feel safe and be happy, healthy and nurtured. Every child needs a champion and it is our mission to ensure that every member of our staff, teaching and non-teaching are part of that cheer squad.
When you walk through our school, you will see and feel a family network. We strive to develop strong relationships between children, staff and parents. Emotional wellbeing and mental health is at the centre of school life: there is no stigma here around mental health. We want our pupils to be proud of who they are as we encourage and embrace the individuality of every member of our school community and strive to ensure that everyone is happy and healthy by being able to be their authentic self.
By the time our children leave in Year 6, we want our children to have the tools they need to emotionally regulate and be happy, healthy and safe in the real world and online. And when they are struggling, our staff will have the tools to support and nurture the children by engaging them in restorative conversations to repair relationships and help children draw on the tools they need to move forward.
We empower our children to exceed by:
- Creating an inclusive community in which everyone is equally valued, respected and cared for, regardless of gender, gender identity, age, disability, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy, race and nationality, religion or belief and sexual orientation;
- Developing strong partnerships between pupils, staff, parents, governors and the wider community;
- Encouraging social, moral, spiritual and cultural growth by instilling a core set of character values within our children; our children are supported to follow the Sunnybrow way and show HEART
- Creating a shared vision of collective responsibility for mental health, to enrich our own lives and those around us, ensuring that every voice is heard no matter how it is expressed or communicated;
- Providing a creative and challenging curriculum which encourages independence and promotes life-long learning and high aspirations, within a positive and vibrant environment that motivates and inspires. The unique abilities and achievements of pupils are recognised and nurtured;
- Raising awareness of personal safety while providing a secure environment with clear and effective procedures ensuring the safety of everyone;
- Equipping pupils with the skills and knowledge to function well as citizens of the future.
Primary education forms the bedrock of development and we believe that a high quality education empowers children and young people, safeguards their health and wellbeing and breaks cycles of poverty. We strive to develop children who are avid readers, skilled mathematicians and creative and competent writers, as well as being curious and engaged in all aspects of the curriculum.
At Sunnybrow Primary School, we want our children to be empowered to exceed. Our curriculum is designed around the principle of ‘ordinary people can achieve extraordinary things.’ By providing our children with inspirational role-models, foundational knowledge of places and events and access to the rich socially and culturally diverse community outside of their local area, we hope to raise pupil expectations and aspirations.
There is no ceiling to ability here at Sunnybrow, as we strive to give our children the belief that they are capable of greatness.
Underpinning our curriculum are our character values. These are the values and skills we believe our children will need to help them thrive in the adult world and beyond the security of Sunnybrow village. We strive to support our children to follow the Sunnybrow way by showing:
Respect & Resilience