Sunnybrow Primary School have recently gained the Young Carers Charter which demonstrates our commitment to supporting Young Carers and their families.
What does it mean by Young Carer?
A young Carer is someone under the age of 18 who has caring responsibilities for a family member at home who may have:
- A serious or long term illness
- A physical disability
- A mental health problem
- A drug or alcohol dependency
- A learning disability
Young Carers may carry out tasks and household chores such as:
- Preparing and cooking food
- Helping with personal care and hygiene
- Giving medication
- Communicating on someone’s behalf
- Ensuring someone’s safety
- Providing emotional support
- Paying bills
- Cleaning and laundry
We recognise that taking on such a role may have a negative impact on a pupil and can also affect their education. Young Carers may:
- Be regularly late for school or have poor attendance
- may often seem tired, withdrawn or preoccupied
- Have difficulty in joining in activities outside of school hours (e.g. after school clubs or residential visits)
- Could be a victim of bullying or have difficulties forming friendships
- Be under-achieving academically
- Not hand in homework
- Appear anxious and worried
- Display emotional or behavioural problems
- Have physical problems such as back pain from lifting adults
We have identified a lead member of staff who is responsible for directly supporting Young Carers in school. The lead member of staff is Mrs Binks (Headteacher). Pupils are aware that they can speak to any member of staff if they feel that they are a Young Carer and would benefit from extra support.
We have established a Young Carers Group in school which is made up of Young Carers, pupils who are eager to support their fellow pupils, Mrs Binks and any parents or carers who would also like to support us. If you are interested in being part of this group, please get in touch with Mrs Binks. The group meets each half term to discuss the issues that Young Carers face and how they can best be supported.
A policy has been written which outlines the support we will provide for pupils identified as Young Carers.