Subject leader – Miss Smith
In Art and Design, we want our lessons to stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences, and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. The children are able to use their art work as a form of visual communication and personal expression in a variety of media and techniques. Our Art and Design lessons are taught throughout the year and linked to our changing topics. Art is taught throughout the school from reception to year 6. The children are taught a range of different medias and look at famous artists and craftsmen to help inspire ideas and creativity. We also have off timetable days/afternoons based on Art and Design.
We ensure that throughout their work in this subjects, our pupils are taught:
- Pattern and texture in natural and made forms
- Colour matching and colour mixing
- How images are made using line and tone
- The use of shape, form and space in images and artefacts
- How to develop, plan and communicate ideas
- Work with tools, equipment, materials and components
- Evaluate processes and product
- Investigate artists and significant figures in creative design
Design and technology provides the opportunity for children to use their imagination and creativity to produce items that fit a given brief or help solve a problem, these are enjoyed by children across the school.
In line with the national curriculum for design and technology we aim to ensure that all pupils know and carry out:
- The design process encourages children to explore a range of materials and generate their ideas, in turn strengthening their communication skills.
- The practical process allows children to select the most suitable equipment in order to make their final product/produce their final outcome.
- Pupils will also have the opportunity to evaluate their own and others’ products against set design criteria.
- It is essential for pupils to be able to use their technical knowledge to adapt and make improvements to their final product.
Each year group also develops their skills in cooking and nutrition, which encourages the children to recognise how to have a balanced diet and to provide them with basic cooking skills. We do also provide a cooking club after school which is a huge success.